Thursday, August 14, 2014

Wool Liner Helper

   It seems like most people cloth diaper because they are "Earth Smart" or something like that.

   I have to admit that our reason  for cloth diapering was purely convenience. It seemed easier to wash diapers than to constantly go out and buy more.

   So when my daughter was constantly SOAKING through her double lined diapers at night, I got desperate and bought disposables for the night time.

   The funny thing about that is, we ran out, and had to buy more! NOOOOO!

   So I researched! I found that wool is terrifically absorbant so I grabbed my leftover wool and forged a liner in hopes that it would fix the wetting problem AND the having to buy "night time" diaper problem.

   AND IT DID! WOOOO!

I made as a quick fix for now to fit her Charlie Banana pocket diapers (which I do not recommend if you're wondering). Later I plan on making some wool soakers and double knitted cotton liners.

ABOUT THE PATTERN:
I made this liner with a garter stitch boarder with a single line of purled stockinette st to prevent it from curling in the diaper. For the body I used a stockinette st because of this blog post where she says the smoother pattern holds more fluids.



MATERIALS!

Needles:
I used
Size 6 (4.25 mm) Single point needles


Yarn:
I used
Cascade Yarns Cloud, Cinnamon color
(Not sure the yardage or oz. It was a palm sized left-over ball from some pumpkin hats!)
HOWEVER next I will use  
Cascade Yarns 128 Superwash 
because it's washable and I don't plan on lanolizing it, I want to wash them with the diapers. 

Winged Pattern:

CO 38
(Garter st boarder to prevent curling)
K 4 rows

Row 1: K3, P1, knit to last 4, P1, Klast 3
Row 2: K4, Purl to last 4, K4

Repeat rows 1&2 until desired length of widest part of liner. To fit my Charlie Bananas, I did 3”

Decreases :

On the next Row 1/Knit row
K3, P1, K2tog, K to last 6, K2tog, P1, K last 3 (36 sts)

repeat Row 2
repeat Row 1
repeat Row 2

Repeat Dec row:
K3, P1, K2tog, K to last 6, K2tog, P1, K last 3 (34 sts)

repeat Row 2
repeat Row 1
repeat Row 2

Repeat Dec row:
K3, P1, K2tog, K to last 6, K2tog, P1, K last 3 (32 sts)

Repeat Rows 1 & 2 for desired length. For my liner I just used my wool until it was about gone and ended up with 5".

(End with garter st boarder to prevent curling)
K 4 rows


Straight Liner Pattern:

Co 32 st


(Garter st boarder to prevent curling)
K 4 rows

Row 1: K3, P1, knit to last 4, P1, Klast 3
Row 2: K4, Purl to last 4, K4

Repeat Rows 1 & 2 for desired length of liner

 (End with garter st boarder to prevent curling)
K 4 rows

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I ran across your pattern on Ravelry. Thank you for sharing your liner patterns! Superwash wool will generally not be as absorbent or function like wool at all in some cases, depending on which method is used to make the yarn washable. If you firmly full (felt) an untreated wool liner, it will be washable with the rest of the diapers.

    ReplyDelete